Summer Asparagus Quiche
This easy vegan quiche is unbelievably flavourful thanks to a beautiful spring vegetable, rich in vitamins and folic acid: asparagus! In this recipe is combined with some broccoli, leeks, tofu and sundried tomatoes, to give it the ultimate summery touch. The balance between the crispy quiche crust and the soft tasty filling is just perfect.
For the Filling
1 spring onion
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp chickpea flour
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp oregano
10 sundried tomatoes
For the Dough
100g spelt flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
100ml lukewarm water
1) Start with the preparation of the veggies: roughly chop the spring onion and leek. Finely chop the garlic and place with the veggies. Move on to the asparagus: trim the toughest ends and peel them in order to make them a little easier to cook through. Cut the rest of the asparagus in half.
2) Bring to a boil a pot of salted water, place the broccoli and asparagus and cook until tender. In the meantime, in a small-sized pan sautée the leek, spring onion and garlic with some olive oil for about 5 minutes, until golden brown.
3) Move on to the preparation of the dough: in a bowl place all the dry ingredients. Slowly add in the olive oil and the water, while mixing with a spoon. Once the dough is combined, knead for a couple of minutes on a flat surface, adding some extra flour if necessary. No resting time is needed, roll out the dough with a rolling pin and place in a round cake tin previously lined with baking paper. Set aside.
4) Now it's time to prepare the filling. In a food processor place all the veggies, except for the asparagus tops that are going to be used as a decoration. Add in the tofu, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, oregano, salt & pepper and blend until smooth.
5) Roughly cut some sundried tomatoes and add them in the filling. Pour the filling into the crust, spreading it and leveling it up with a spatula.6) Bake at 180°C for 50 minutes. You know it's ready when the surface has a beautiful golden colour and the crust looks fully cooked through.
7) Decorate the quiche with the asparagus tops, cut lenghwise, some sundried tomatoes and a sprinkle of oregano. Enjoy!