BROCCOLI & COURGETTE SOUP
We all know we should eat our greens, and soups are a great way to get in a variety of nutrients - as well as being warming and comforting. Broccoli contains 70% of the RDI of Vitamin C and courgette is high in Vitamin A, which both promote a healthy immune system. This soup is made with nutritional yeast - a great plant based source of Vitamin B12, which is an essential nutrient for the health of the nervous system and for the production of red blood cells.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
4 or 5 courgettes
1 broccoli head
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 ltr veg stock
Salt & pepper
1. Add the oil and onion to a pan over a medium heat, and cook until soft.
2. Add the courgettes and broccoli (chopped) and cover the pan with a lid, letting them cook until you can cut through them. Make sure you check on them regularly, and you can reduce the heat and add a little water to the pan if they begin to burn/the pan goes dry.
3. Add half of stock and simmer for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat.
4. Use an immersion blender (carefully) to blend everything together, then add the other half of the stock and blend again briefly to incorporate. Season to taste.
5. Serve the soup using a ladle - serve with sourdough and enjoy!
You can add toppings to the soup, such as extra cooked broccoli, herbs, chilli flakes or a drizzle of soya cream perhaps.
vegan, gluten free (without sourdough), soy free, nut free