Creamy Vegan Asparagus Risotto
Asparagus season calls for asparagus risotto, a beautiful, fresh, delicious spring recipe. Easy, healthy, vegan, and gluten-free!
200g Arborio rice (or other short-grain rice)
1 Spring onion
1 Clove of garlic
30ml White wine
Vegan Parmesan and butter to taste
1) Peel and finely dice the spring onion and garlic clove, then set aside.
2) Wash the asparagus, cut off the very tough ends (white parts), and keep for the broth. Peel the bottom parts, about 3 cm from the bottom, and cut. Leave the rest of the asparagus whole.
3) Bring about 2 cups of salted water to a boil, then add in the asparagus.
4) Let boil for about 10 minutes, until the tops are tender, then remove them from the water and place in a plate. Leave the bottom parts simmering. At this stage, you can add in the very tough white parts and peels that will still give some flavour to the broth. Keep the broth on the heat as you will need it to cook the rice.
5) Chop the tops into 1 cm bites, leaving three whole tops for garnishing.
6) In a pan with a wide bottom, heat up some olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and spring onion, sauté for a minute or two, then add the rice and stir it in well. Let sauté for a couple of minutes, then pour in the white wine and let cook away for about 1 minute. Add in the chopped asparagus.
7) Pour in a couple of ladles of broth until the rice is covered. Bring the heat to a low and let the risotto simmer and cook away. Stir every couple of minutes and add more liquid as needed.
8) Cook the rice for about 10 more minutes, until cooked. Add some grated vegan Parmesan and a knob of vegan butter, then stir over the heat until incorporated and creamy. Give it a taste and season with salt, pepper, and chopped fresh herbs to taste.
9) Serve hot and topped with asparagus tops, some more fresh herbs (such as parsley), and a few drops of olive oil. For an even fresher version, add a squeeze of lemon juice and/or some lemon zest. Enjoy!