CREAMY MUSHROOM PASTA
Mushrooms are one of the most versatile vegetables, and taste great in almost anything (in my opinion!). They are high in Vitamin D - especially important during the winter months, and an antioxidant called selenium.
This pasta recipe is really easy and super creamy - who needs dairy!
450G pasta of choice
4 cloves garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
65g chopped parsley (or just a rough bunch)
3 tbsp all purpose flour
700ml non dairy milk
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
270g frozen peas, defrosted
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions, in boiling salted water. While its cooking, make the sauce
2. Heat olive oil or vegan butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add chopped shallots, garlic, mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt, and cook until mushrooms are browned and tender (10-15 mins). Turn the heat to low after about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and stir to coat for about a minute, then bring heat back up to medium-high.
4. Add about 1/3 of of the almond milk, and let it simmer for another minute, stirring continually to break up any lumps.
5. When smooth and thickened slightly, add the rest of the almond milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return to a simmer and keep stirring.
6. Cook until the sauce thickens a little more, about 3 minutes.
7. Take the saucepan off the heat, and stir in nutritional yeast until its well incorporated. Add the peas, salt and pepper to taste (if needed) and cook for another minute until peas are heated through.
8. Add the pasta to the mushroom sauce and stir everything together.
9. Serve immediately with some extra parsley if you wish, or with some grated vegan cheese on top.
NB: You could also serve with some vegan garlic bread (most supermarket ones are accidentally vegan but check the label!) Sometimes I add plant based 'chicken' pieces or tofu if I want it to be more filling.
vegan, soy free