Mediterranean Quinoa Summer Salad
This Mediterranean quinoa summer salad is protein-packed with fresh and tasty Mediterranean flavors and seasonal vegetables. Made with simple, fresh ingredients is perfect for a quick lunch, a meal with friends and family, or even a picnic on the weekend. You can use your favorite ingredients and give it a different twist every time you make it...you'll never get bored of this salad, that's for sure!
1 heirloom tomato
10 Taggiasca olives
200g canned chickpeas
1/4 red onion
100g grilled artichokes hearts
1/2 celery stalk
salt and pepper
squeeze of lemon
1) Boil the quinoa in abundant salted water until fully cooked, set aside to cool down.
2) Slice the courgette, place it in a pan with a clove of garlic and some extra virgin olive oil, sautée for about 15 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
3) Chop the tomato, red onion, celery stalk, artichoke hearts and place in a big bowl.
4) Add in the quinoa, the courgette, the olives, and the drained chickpeas. Mix everything together.
5) Season with salt & pepper, extra virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, a sprinkle of oregano and some fresh basil leaves. Another great option would be a spoonful of pesto mixed with some olive oil or a delicious tahini dressing!
For a gluten-free option use quinoa, millet or rice, otherwise you can use couscous, barley, spelt or even pasta. This recipe serves 2-3 people.