Tostadas with Hearts of Palm Ceviche
A Mexican favourite, these light and crispy tostadas are zesty, spicy, fun to eat and perfect for summer! Feel free to use shop-bought tostadas, but for the freshest flavour, you’ll definitely want to make your own! The optional tofu make these heartier. The diced baked tofu combined with the hearts of palm provide a seafood-like quality.
- 8 (3-inch) hearts of palm pieces
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 serrano chillis, seeded and minced
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baked tofu, cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)
- Corn oil 8 (5-inch) thin corn tortillas
- Crushed chipotle chilli
Directions (makes 8 servings)
Smash the hearts of palm a few times. In a bowl, combine the hearts of palm, tomatoes, chiles, onion, avocado, cilantro, oregano, salt, lime juice, olive oil and tofu. Set aside to marinade for at least one hour. Cover and refrigerate if marinating for longer than an hour. It will keep in the refrigerator for one day.
When ready to serve, add about 1/2 inch of corn oil to a skillet and heat to 375° F, until it’s hot, but not smoking. Add a tortilla and fry on both sides for 1 minute, then set aside on a paper towel to cool and drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Top each fried tortilla with 1/4 cup of the reserved mixture. Garnish with crushed chipotle (optional).
From Vegan Mexico by Jason Wyrick