Peri Peri Pea Falafel with Tahini Dressing
We are heading towards Great British Pea Week (6th – 12th July 2020), which is 7 days dedicated to celebrating the Great British pea! On average, each person in Britain eats 9,000 peas per year. Perhaps this is because peas are an incredibly versatile ingredient and perfect for healthy, wholesome dishes that the whole family can enjoy.
Today, we are sharing this brilliant recipe from Yes Peas! Perfect for summer.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp peri peri seasoning
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200g frozen peas
- a small handful fresh coriander & mint, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
- sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp tahini
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ tsp peri peri seasoning
- 1tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and add the onion, garlic and spices. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Once the onions are soft, put them into a food blender along with the well-drained peas and remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until the mixture comes together. If your mixture is still crumbly and not combining, add a little more flour and oil and blend a little more.
- Roll the falafel mixture into balls, put them on the lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for around 15 minutes.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl along with 5 tbsp cold water and season with salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the falafel with the dressing and serve with grilled flatbreads.
Post Author: Victoria Forbes Watson