Lentils are a great ingredient for plant-based eating. Not only are they easy to cook, they also absorb flavours well and are high in essential nutrients such as protein, iron and fibre. This simple, nutritious and filling recipe is perfect for days when you want a comforting and hearty meal.
For the filling:
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
190g lentils (either brown or green)
950ml vegetable stock
280g frozen vegetable mix (carrots, green beans, corn, peas)
For the mashed potato:
3-4 tbsp vegan butter
Salt and pepper
1. Peel and slice any large potatoes in half and bring to a boil. Cook for between 20-30 minutes or until soft enough to slide off a knife easily.
2. Once drained, transfer them to a mixing bowl. Use a masher (or a fork) to mash until smooth. Add vegan butter, and season with salt and pepper.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 220C and lightly grease a 2 quart baking dish (or 9 x 13 pan)
4. Saute onions and garlic in a tablespoon of oil until soft, brown and lightly caramelised. This should take around 5 minutes .
5. Add lentils, stock, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer. To make sure the lentils are tender, it will take around 35-40 minutes.
6. In the final 10 minutes of cooking, add the frozen vegetables.
NB. to thicken the mixture, you can either add 2-3 tablespoons of mashed potatoes, or you can whisk in around 2 tbsp of cornstarch.
7. Place the mixture into your dish and top with mashed potatoes. Use a spoon or fork to smooth it down.
8. Make sure to place your dish on a baking tray while cooking as there tends to be some overflow. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the mashed potato is slightly browned on top.
9. Best served after being let to cool down as this allows the sauce to thicken.
Before covering and storing, it needs to completely cool down. It will last for 3-4 days in the fridge. I make this at the weekend for some quick and easy microwave meals during the week, sometimes cooking broccoli to add another dose of vegetables.
vegan, nut free, soy free, gluten free