Tofu scramble is just one of the many things you can do with tofu, and is a great alternative to eggs if you're worried about missing them. Its high in protein and is really quick and easy! You can have them on toast, or add vegan sausages, beans, avocado and mushrooms for a full vegan breakfast.
225g/8oz Tofu (firm or extra firm)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt & pepper
Almond milk (optional)
1) Cut the tofu into chunks, transfer into a bowl and scramble with a fork. You can also just crumble it with your fingers.
2) Heat some vegan butter or oil slightly in a pan, and add the tofu along with the turmeric, salt and pepper. You can add more turmeric to taste if you'd like the flavour to be stronger. I like to add a splash of almond milk to the pan as it helps the ingredients combine and the turmeric soak into the tofu better, it also makes sure your tofu scramble isn't dry - this is optional.
3) Cook the tofu over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring so it doesn't stick.
4) Serve your tofu on toast or as part of a vegan breakfast, and if you have any leftovers it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week (I prefer making it fresh though!)
1) You can also use Kala Namak (black sulphur salt) if you happen to have any, which provides a more realistic 'eggy' flavour, however I prefer just using turmeric and its probably not a cupboard staple!
2) You can also add tomatoes, mushrooms (cook first and then add the tofu), various herbs like parsley or or even beans like chickpeas and black beans to make it more filling.
vegan, gluten free, nut free without almond milk