VEGAN MAC & CHEESE
For everyone worried that going plant based means missing cheese and meals that are based around it - this recipe is for you! Using nutritional yeast adds a lovely cheesy, nutty flavour and has great texture. Its also a great plant based source of Vitamin B12 - essential for the health of the nervous system and production of red blood cells.
450g macaroni pasta
60g vegan butter
45g all purpose flour
30g nutritional yeast
700ml non dairy milk (oat is creamiest)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp agave nectar
1. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet, then drain and set aside in a pan.
2. While the pasta is cooking, in another medium pan add the vegan butter until melted. Then whisk in the flour (sieved), continually stirring for a few minutes to make a roux.
3. Add in non dairy milk, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, garlic and salt, then bring to a boil.
4. Add the lemon juice and agave, and stir everything together.
5. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir, then serve immediately. You can garnish with parsley or another fresh herb according to preference! I also sometimes sprinkle over some paprika for some extra flavour.
vegan, soy free (if you don't use soy milk) nut free (if you don't use nut milk)