Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
11g Protein | 253 Calories
This vegan mushroom stroganoff is a perfect creamy dish alongside rice and a glass of white wine.
- In a large, wide, deep frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil on a medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the paprika and cayenne, and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. After 2 minutes, pop the onions into a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add all the mushrooms, and fry on a high heat for about 5 minutes until golden brown all over. Once browned, return the onions to the pan, add the white wine and reduce by a third.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in another pan according to the pack instructions. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Turn down the heat under the mushroom mixture, add the mustard and stock. Let this bubble away for a few minutes, then stir in the coconut milk (or other dairy-free cream). Add the zest of the lemon and a squeeze of juice to taste. Season, finely chop the parsley, and stir in.
5. Add optional preferred seasoning to taste.
6. Serve with the rice.
Optional additional serving suggestion: A lemony bitter leaf salad alongside the rice and stroganoff.
Tip: This dish can be made gluten free by using gluten free stock.