Paella is one of my favourites. This vegan recipe is the perfect alternative to a traditional paella without missing out on any of the flavours.
960ml vegetable stock
1tsp saffron threads
3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
1 onion, diced
1 pepper, diced
2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
165g marinated artichoke hearts (quartered)
1 tomato, diced
2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp garlic, crushed
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
300g Spanish Bomba rice (uncooked)
134g frozen peas (thawed)
Salt and Pepper
1. Add vegetable stock to a saucepan and heat. Crumble the saffron using your fingers into the stock. Once the stock begins to simmer, let it simmer for 1 minute and turn heat down to keep it warm while finishing the recipe.
2. In a paella pan or a large skillet or frying pan (12 inches round), heat the oil and sauté the onion and pepper until soft.
3. Add in the mushrooms and artichokes and sauté until soft.
4. Stir in the tomato, capers, garlic, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, dried thyme and cayenne pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Add the rice and the final tablespoon of oil to the pan. Stir to make sure the rice is fully coated. Toast the rice lightly for around 1 minute and spread the rice evenly across the pan.
5. Pour in the vegetable stock. Don't stir it from now on.
6. Bring the pan to a simmer and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Turn down the heat to a mild simmer until the rice is cooked which will take around 20 minutes. You'll see the stock reducing so keep an eye on the rice.
8. Using a spoon, check to see that all the stock has cooked off and that there is no liquid at the bottom of the pan. The rice should be soft but firm. Remove the skillet from the heat.
9. Pour the peas over the top of the rice, but do not mix them in.
10. Cover the pan with foil and leave the paella to rest for 10 minutes.
11. To serve, top with the chopped parsley and lemon wedges!
NB. You can store your leftover paella in the fridge where it will last 4-5 days. Make sure to reheat it thoroughly.
vegan, nut free, gluten free, soy free